mardi 12 janvier 2010

# PHILADELPHIA / Beth Sholom Synagogue by Frank Lloyd Wright


I'd like to think that I was not the only one who did not know about this Synagogue designed by Frank Lloyd Wright before I did visit it. Commissioned by the Beth Sholom Congregation in Philadelphia, Wright designed a very singular building strongly inspired by his Japan experience. I am personally a bit torn in my appreciation, recognizing an origami boat symbolizing the Jewish continuous exile and on the other hand, the weight and spectacular aspect of the building makes me think that the nomadic and discreet appearance of usual synagogues has been denied.
In any case, this project is one of Wright's last (he died five months before the opening) and it is interesting to observe his style evolving just like it did with the NY Guggenheim museum.